The Přehled výzkumů (PV) is a scientific peer-reviewed journal published since 1956 by the Institute of Archaeology, Czech Academy of Sciences, Brno. The first section presents original archaeological research of superregional significance with a focus on Central Europe. The second section presents a comprehensive summary of excavation reports from all licensed archaeological organisations in Moravia and Silesia. Since 2011, the journal is published semi-annually in print and electronic formats with a separate specialisation on prehistory (1), Middle Ages and modern times (2). The journal is indexed in the European Reference Index for the Humanities (ERIH) and List of Non-Impact Peer-Reviewed Periodicals Published in the Czech Republic. Since February 2018, the Přehled výzkumů Journal has been included in the Scopus database of journals, indexed here from Volume 58. Since 2020, the PV articles are provided with a DOI identification.
Authors publishing their articles in the Přehled výzkumů Journal are obliged to observe the following rules and duties:
- Authors are obliged to participate in the review process, respond to reviewers’ comments and make suggested modifications based on those comments. In disputable cases, they can appeal to editors of the journal with particular objections to defend their statements or retract the paper respectively.
- Authorship should be limited to those who have made a significant contribution to the research outcomes presented in the paper.
- An author should not publish manuscripts describing essentially the same research in more than one journal of primary publication.
- Authors must follow the guidelines for authors and the citation rules.
- Authors must sign a statement declaring that all data in their article are original and truthful (see Author’s Statement – download).
- Editors are responsible for the content of the journal and quality of the articles published.
- Editors maintain objectivity with all articles submitted, i.e. they are obliged to avoid conflict of interest concerning the articles they reject/accept, and respect the main criteria of article selection:
– professional standards and relevance of the article;
– conformity of the topic with a professional focus of the journal.
- Editors are obliged to preserve the anonymity of both reviewers and authors in the peer-review process.
- In cooperation with the Editorial board, the editors address possible appeals of the authors against reviewers’ comments and other complaints.
- Editors have the final responsibility and authority to reject/accept an article.
- Reviewers must be objective in their assessment.
- Privileged information or ideas obtained through peer review must be kept confidential and not used for personal or other advantages (see Review Form – download).
- Reviewers can reject a request to review an article for reasons of competing professional interests:
– professional, financial or personal benefit from accepting/rejecting the paper under review;
– collaboration on the project in question within the past five years;
– fundamental difference in opinion on the main topic of the paper under review;
– close professional or personal relationship with the author or a member of the author team.
- Unless the reviewer rejects an assessment for one of the reasons above, the editorial office takes it for granted that no conflict of interest exists.
- Reviewers should point out any relevant published work that has not been cited by the author.
Responsibilities of the editorial board:
- Editorial board constantly makes efforts to improve the professional and formal quality of the journal, supports the freedom of speech, and in compliance with generally accepted ethics is always willing to publish corrections, retractions and apologies by prior arrangement.
- Editorial board issues instructions concerning the editorial work (guidelines for authors, peer-review process, reviewers, etc.).
- Editorial board guarantees observation of the above stated rules.
1. Author’s statements
By submitting a work (hereinafter referred to as the “Work”) to the Přehled výzkumů Journal (http://prehled-vyzkumu.arub.avcr.cz/; hereinafter referred to as the “PV”) for the consideration for publication, the author grants the Institute of Archaeology of the Czech Academy of Sciences, Brno (hereinafter referred to as “ARÚB”) a license to the Work, under the following conditions:
1.1 The author declares that the Work is free of copyright or other legal defects, it was neither published anywhere else, nor simultaneously offered for publication.
1.2 The author declares that he/she is the real author or the joint author of the Work and his/her freedom to grant the license is not limited or excluded, and the author is entitled to dispose of the Work, because especially, but not limited to:
- the Work is not an Employee work where the employee would not be entitled to exercise the rights to the Work,
- using of the Work within the scope of the granted license is not limited by the conditions of provided grant or other financial support (e.g. GAČR – Czech Science Foundation, TAČR – Technology Agency of the Czech Republic),
- using of the Work within the scope of the granted license is not limited by the third parties’ rights (e.g. copyright, the right to the protection of personal data),
- the Work is not the work of joint authors, where the other joint authors would not agree to grant the license.
1.3 In the case that the Work is the work of joint authors, the author declares that all the joint authors have been informed of these License Terms and that he/she is authorised to grant ARÚB the license under these License Terms on behalf of the joint authors.
1.4 The author agrees that if the Work is accepted for publication, the proposal to conclude a license agreement for the Work will be on his/her behalf aimed at an indefinite number of persons, while the content of the agreement will be determined by reference to the publicly available license conditions Creative Commons BY-NC-ND 4.0 International (available from: https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/); such proposal will not be done for the works or the elements (e.g. image or photographic documentation) used by the author in the Work under a contractual license with a third party.
1.5 If any of the author’s statements prove to be untrue, the author is aware that he/she is liable for the resulting damage, including the costs associated with any litigation and damage caused by a violation of the PV’s and/or ARÚB’s reputation.
2. License grant
2.1 The author grants ARÚB gratuitous non-exclusive license to use the Work in all the known manners of use (especially, but not limited to, reproduction, distribution and communication to public), individually, in the collection or together with any other works or elements unlimited as regards to amount and form and media of expression (including electronic).
2.2 The license is granted as territorially and quantitatively unlimited.
2.3 The license is granted royalty-free.
2.4 The license is granted for the duration of economic rights to the Work.
2.5 ARÚB shall be entitled to grant an authorisation forming part of the license to the third party or parties, in whole or in part under a sublicense agreement, with or without remuneration.
2.6 By granting the license, the author agrees with including the Work into the scientific and bibliographical databases (e.g. EBSCO, CEEOL) as well as information systems for providing the informational services, where the PV is currently indexed as well as those, where it will be indexed pro futuro.
2.7 ARÚB shall be not obliged to make use of the license.
3. Further use of Work
3.1 Given granted the non-exclusive license to the Work, the author shall be entitled to further use the Work. For the purpose of such further use of the Work, the author shall be obliged to state the PV as the source of publication of the Work.
3.2 The reputation of ARÚB and/or PV shall not be negatively affected by the further use of the Work.
4.1 Legal relations based on the license shall be governed by the laws of the Czech Republic; any disputes arising out of the license shall be settled by the courts of the Czech Republic.
4.2 If the Work is rejected for publication in the PV, the license shall be, at the moment of the decision of rejection, restricted in such a way that it shall cover use of Work only in the necessary extent within related editorial activities (e.g. review and archiving).
Authors retain the copyright for all the materials published in the journal.
Open access policy
This journal adheres the Open Access policy and publishes contributions in “Libre Open Access” mode under the terms of the Creative Commons CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International license (full text available at: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/legalcode (dále jen “CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International”).
1. Information about CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International
CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International are publicly available licensing terms that define the conditions under which a work may be used. These conditions must be respected – non-compliance therewith results in infringement of copyright. CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International grant users certain rights and sets them certain obligations.
CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International authorize the user to “share” the work, i.e. copy, distribute and communicate to the public online. At the same time, the work can be included in a collection (e.g. a journal, conference proceedings).
CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International oblige the user to indicate the origin of the work (i.e. title, author, source and reference to the licensing terms) and not to use the work commercially and not to adapt part or the whole work. Therefore, the work or its part must not be merged with another protected subject-matter of protection (creatively modified, edited, also new creative works may be created based upon the original underlying work). Any person, other than the rightholder, must not use the works available under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International for commercial purposes, as the sharing of the work must not generate any financial gain.
CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International does not limit statutory licenses, especially the quotation one, in particular. Citing parts of the work made available under these licensing terms does not give rise to an obligation to make the work in which the quotation was used to license it under the same licensing terms.
CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International apply exclusively to the licensed work. It is possible that certain parts of the content are used under legal licenses or contractual licenses with third parties. These parts may not be used under CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International.
CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International does not exclude copyright protection, claims arising from it or the realization of the personal and property rights of the author of the work.
2. Following copyright consequences
The publication of the work under the public license terms CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International has, inter alia, the following copyright consequences:
- everyone is entitled to:
- share the work – i.e. reproduce, print, distribute (e.g. using P2P networks, upload on file-hosting servers or publishing websites)
- however not for or directed towards commercial advantage or monetary compensation
- the authorized user is obliged to:
- indicate the origin, i.e. to indicate the author, name, source (i.e. the journal), or in the form chosen by the author, and a reference to the license terms CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International
- TASL acronym could be used to memorize the information that must be mentioned:
- T – title,
- A – author (author, or rightholder or database maker),
- S – source
- L – license – a reference to the full version of the public licensing terms CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 International. In printed publications, it is necessary to include the URL link
- use the work non-commercially
- not adapt the work
- the work
- is used in a maximally restricted manner
- must not be adapted
- can be uploaded to e-learning platforms
- can be stored in topical and institutional repositories in the form of “publisher’s edition”, i.e. in the reviewed version, including final formatting and correction
- must not be used for commercial purposes